When we cease to believe

dag-hammarskjoldGod does not die on the day when we cease to believe in a personal deity, but we die on the day when our lives cease to be illumined by the steady radiance, renewed daily, of a wonder, the source of which is beyond all reason.

–Dag Hammarskjold

4 thoughts on “When we cease to believe

  1. It’s not as if the biblical god of the Abrahamic faiths dies, a it’s rather that we realize that there is no true evidence of him ever existing in the first place.


    • You cannot state that no evidence for God exists unless you have complete knowledge about everything in the universe. Thomas Edison said, “We don’t know a millionth of one percent about anything.” To be generous, let’s say you are among the geniuses that know 1% of everything—that still leaves 99% ignorance. Consider it very possible that God exists in the 99% you are ignorant about.


      • China tea pot. But the burden is not to prove the negative but for believers to prove the positive claim. Have a great weekend


  2. Thanks, I have been having an enjoyable weekend.

    If God could be placed under a microscope or reduced to a mathematical equation we would not feel compelled to worship him. He is not one of the actors or in the story, rather he is the Writer of the play. Someone suggested… “There is something crude in the depiction of God intervening directly in the play . . . interrupting the speeches of the other actors and upsetting the stage. How much more tantalizing the God who hints and lurks and cajoles hiddenly through and around the actors, even unbeknowst to them.” I would like to suggest you hang up your labcoat, set aside the notion that the play appeared out of nowhere on its own, and open your eyes to the wonder and mystery of the drama in which we find ourselves. You might stumble across some fascinating clues about One who authored this amazing script.

    And as you do so . . . enjoy your day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s